This page is designed to help answer common questions and assist you in navigating Appalachian’s disciplinary process. It is important to remember that is it your responsibility to review and abide by the University policies and procedures. We hope you find the information provided below helpful. If you have further questions please contact us at (828) 262-2704 or studentconduct@appstate.edu.

Below are common questions that our office receives from students:

What is the Code of Student Conduct?

A set of community standards and prohibited conduct to promote student learning and accountability. The Code of Student Conduct (the Code) is available here.

What happens if I have been involved in an alleged violation of the Code of Student Conduct?

You will receive written communication via your official ASU email from the Office of Student Conduct or University Housing to schedule an appointment or with a pre-scheduled appointment time and location. The letter will include the alleged violation(s) and details about next steps in the process. 

We encourage you to become informed about the disciplinary process. You can review the process by reviewing the Code. The Code is not comparable to criminal procedures. Formal rules of evidence and procedure do not apply.

Does the Office of Student Conduct address all off-campus violations?

No, the Office of Student Conduct only handles off-campus violations that interfere with the mission of the university by impacting the health and safety of students and the surrounding community. The primary types of off-campus violations referred to the Office of Student Conduct include, but are not limited to:

  1. Felony charges;
  2. Acts of harm charges, including, but not limited to, assault, harassment, or threats;
  3. Driving while impaired (DWI) charges or charges of driving by individuals less than twenty-one (21) years old after consuming alcohol or drugs;
  4. Repeated or high risk alcohol misdemeanor charges;
  5. Repeated or high risk drug misdemeanor charges;
  6. Hazing;
  7. Behavior that occurs at any college or university may be processed under this Code in the same manner as on-campus behavior; and
  8. Activities of a student or group of students that conflict with the University’s interests and mission, including, but not limited to, patterns of behavior that put the health and safety of others at risk or show disregard for the policies of the University.

For more information regarding Off-Campus Violations, please visit our Off-Campus FAQs.

How is responsibility of a violation determined?

Students have several choices in resolving an alleged violation of the Code. Students can accept responsibility through an Informal Resolution, or request that the case be referred to a Board for Formal Resolution. The Conduct Resolution Administrator may also refer a case directly to a Board without an Informal Resolution. A case can also be dismissed or a student held not responsible as additional information is gathered.

The University must establish that the student is responsible for the alleged violation(s) by a preponderance of the evidence (i.e., that it is more likely than not that a violation occurred). This determination must be based solely on the information gathered.

If a student fails to schedule an appointment or misses a scheduled appointment to review their case, the Office of Student Conduct has the right to resolve the case in their absence.

If I am found responsible for misconduct, what will happen?

To maintain fairness and consistency, there is a presumption that at least the minimum sanction outlined in the Code will be imposed. A Conduct Revsolution Administrator or Board may impose a sanction less than or greater than the minimum when there is a compelling factor(s) that warrants such action. Please refer to Article IV- Prohibited Conduct of the Code to review the minimum sanctions for all violations; and Appendices A and B for standard sanctions for alcohol and drug violations.

Will my parent(s)/guardian(s) have access to my disciplinary record, and what is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?

Under the Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, Appalachian State University is restricted in releasing student information without the consent of the student. It provides the student a right to inspect their records and restrict the disclosure of those records. Further information about FERPA is available on the U.S Department of Education FERPA website .

“The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.”

Detailed information about FERPA at Appalachian State University can be found in the University Policy Statement at policy.appstate.edu/Policy_Manual and the “Annual Notification of Rights” at https://registrar.appstate.edu/resources/ferpa-students/student-rights-under-ferpa.

In order for the Office of Student Conduct to discuss details of a student's case or any disciplinary record, the student must give permission to do so, unless elsewhere allowable by law.

It should be understood that, at the post-secondary level, parents do not have automatic access to a student’s educational record. The first step to providing a parent(s)/guardian(s) access to your information is having open communication with them about what is going on with your grades, classes, etc. Secondly, you can provide access to parent(s)/guardian(s) in Appalnet . To grant parents/guardians access to your records, you must:

  1. Login in to Appalnet
  2. Select “Student” tab
  3. Select “Parent Access”
  4. Fill out the required fields and be sure to check off “Conduct Records”
  5. Select “Submit” button

You may also sign a waiver which would allow for more open communication between the University, the student and your parent/guardian.  Signing the waiver is only a short term release of your educational record at the University.

How will this affect my school record?

Disciplinary records are maintained for a minimum of eight (8) years from the date of resolution. If Suspension or Expulsion is given in resolution of a violation, the disciplinary record will be maintained indefinitely.

Your disciplinary record may impact your ability to gain approval to study abroad, participate in leadership roles on campus or varsity athletics, transfer to another institution, or gain entrance into a graduate program.

If you give an employer or graduate/professional school permission to access your disciplinary record, information about your violation(s) and sanction(s) will be shared.

How does a student disciplinary record affect my application to graduate school?

Most graduate applications ask for information regarding a student’s criminal or disciplinary history. Some universities require more information; so be sure to carefully read what information the application is requiring. You should be honest about your disciplinary history. On occasion, universities will contact our office to verify the information you have provided on your application. Most applications include this waiver in the fine print and by signing the application you are typically granting access to your disciplinary records.

Can my family attorney be involved?

Attorneys and non-attorney Advisors are allowed to be present during certain steps in the disciplinary process. Specifically, students who are going through the Formal Resolution process (University Conduct Board or Administrative Hearing Board), and are also subject of pending criminal charges, have the right to be accompanied by an attorney. The attorney may act as the student’s “Advisor” and may fully participate only to the extent afforded to the student they represent. Attorney and non-attorney Advisors may participate in hearings with the Student Conduct Board, but may only act as a support individual. For further information regarding the role of attorneys in the disciplinary process please refer to Article I 1.01 and Article VII 7.08.

What if I am not satisfied with the outcome?

If you resolve your incident via the Informal Resolution process, you are unable to appeal the decision. If you have resolved your incident via the Formal Resolution process, you may appeal based on the following grounds:

  1. A violation of due process
  2. A material deviation from Substantive and Procedural Standards adopted by the UNC Board of Governors, as set forth in UNC Policy Manual 700.4 .

For more information regarding the Appeals Process, please review Article VIII- Appeals in the Code.